Saturday, April 14, 2007

Scorpion attack!

As you become accustomed to living somewhere quite "exotic" you sort of forget that it is still a foreign environment with exciting and sometimes dangerous species around. And then out of the blue you suddenly come face to face with one that makes you remember where you are... So last night I came home a little after midnight after a quiet night just having a couple of drinks with friends at Cafe Bohemia, and was getting ready for bed. Then I looked over and saw something moving in my bed, creeping out from under my pillow - yes, you've guessed it: a scorpion, about 4 inches long, scuttling around on the sheets.

To my credit I didn't start screaming or anything too girly, but there was no way I was getting too near the scorpion. So I opened up my mosquito netting to the ground, to give it an escape route, and tried to nudge the pillows to make it want to leave. But the beast was having none of this, and scuttling in towards the wall side of my bed. And after about half an hour of vague attempts at scorpion extraction and generally pondering what on earth I could do, I gave up and slept in another room, in the bed of a volunteer who's away at the moment. I can tell you I had some strange, vivid dreams.

In the cold light of day it didn't seem like such a complete nightmare as it had at 1am, especially since I know that although a scorpion sting here is excruciatingly painful it's not fatal, or anything close. But I still had to rid my bed or room of the beast. So I put on long trousers, thick socks, carefully checked my boots for nasties lurking inside them, and then set about gingerly pulling off all the sheets and so on. And then 5 or 10 minutes later I felt something moving around under my right big toe INSIDE MY BOOTS!!!! In a matter of moments I had my boots off, and sure enough, curled up in the end was the scorpion, now half dead after me walking all over it for a while. We finished it off and buried it in the garden. Most likely it hadn't been able to lift up its tail to sting me, penned in by my feet - thank goodness. And apparently they cling on like crazy, so even when I banged my boots around to dislodge anything inside that wouldn't have worked. So I spent the rest of the morning a little shaken up and decided to treat myself to a really nice lunch in a very restful atmosphere... Now we've just got to hope there's no more beasties lurking around at Casa Santa Lucia (and check everything really carefully).

No comments: