Sunday, April 1, 2007

Isla Ometepe part 2

Well, although I didn´t climb the volcano today (unlike the two couples with whom I travelled here - and only two people completed the hike, as the others made it just half the way up!) I did hike for 4 hours (up and down) to a nearby waterfall, partway up the Maderas Volcano. My guide was the hostal owner´s 12 year old daughter, Alma, who was much braver than me at the difficult bits. At one point we even had to go up and down one slope using a rope to pull ourselves up it was so steep and just earth, with no grip - a first for me. So I think I earned the grilled chicken supper that I´ve just been told is now ready for me... But before I dash off to eat, let me just say that tomorrow I´m starting the slightly more adventurous half of my Easter holidays, as I (hopefully) board the overnight boat to San Carlos, at the edge of Lago Colcibolca and the start/end, depending on how you see it, of the San Juan River going to the Caribbean coast. I´m not going that far myself on this trip, but I hope to have some interesting experiences in a new part of Nicaragua.

No comments: