Sunday, February 11, 2007

Nica breakfasts

Today I was going to go off sightseeing to the Mirador de Catarina, but given that the weather is strangely overcast and foreboding (but of course as ever still very much hot and sticky) that didn't seem like such a fantastic plan. [N.B. A mirador is a viewing spot!] My second idea was to take the bus to Masaya, where there is the biggest and best handicrafts market in Nicaragua, but I managed to take too long over breakfast and then missed a couple of buses. And from previous experience (see the entry on Diriamba) I know that setting off to travel too late on a Sunday is a bad idea since there may not be a bus back. Therefore I decided to have a quiet day in Granada instead - hence here I am at my favourite internet cafe with a little time to spare for blogging.

And with breakfast on the brain, I thought I'd let you work out which is my favourite joint. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned in previous posts that there are two particularly well-known breakfast options in Granada:

Kathy's Waffle House
pros - great food
- absolutely huge American portions
- on the way into town from home
- lovely outdoor tables
- open until 2pm
cons - ridiculously enormous portions
- very rich food
- only the coffee comes free with breakfast
- full of ageing male US ex-pats reading the Nica Times (a local English-language newspaper aimed at just that market)

Nica Buffet

pros - more achievably-sized large portions
- also delicious but lighter food
- more European relaxed atmosphere
- free iced tea (the real stuff)
- very friendly Dutch owner
cons - further from home (the other side of the Parque Central towards the market)
- you have to sit inside
- it closes earlier at 12pm

So there you have it; please cast vote on which place you think is my favourite... P.S. I may update this post at a later date to include some photos.

No comments: