Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Beach weekend in San Juan (the good, the bad and the ugly)

After a slightly crazy start to Friday (two men came to cut off the electricity to our house, because of supposedly unpaid bills - all resolved now!), Torey, Jason and I headed off to the bus station/patch-of-rough-ground-behind-the-market-and-petrol-station from where the chicken buses leave Granada and just made it on the 11.30am departure. We failed to get seats, but actually in the heat, standing up in the breeze is more pleasant really.

Then after a bit of haggling when we changed buses at RIvas, we got a colectivo taxi to San Juan del Sur, beach and surfer´s paradise. (Actually I´ve yet to get in anything that´s not a colectivo taxi - basically all taxis pick up mutiple random passengers en route everywhere, so you share your ride with anyone and everyone, and you always pay by the person.) Our taxi driver knew a good posada (guest house) to stay in, and given that it was much nicer (windows, fan, painted walls, etc) than some of the very cheapest options, we went for it...

OK. Sorry guys - I´ve been online chatting with Kate all afternoon and I have to go back to the office in 5 minutes for a meeting about organising children´s dentist visit, so I´m thinking I´ll just put up this message with some photos and fill in the gaps afterwards.



There´s no time left to write more now, but I know I´ve been pretty lax recently. Forgive me!

No comments: