Friday, January 12, 2007

Nicaragua here I am

Last night I flew in to Nicaragua (to the capital Managua) and then came down here to Granada by taxi. Just as we were leaving the airport my taxi driver Felipe got a phone call to say that he had to pick someone else up at the airport, so we went to a nearby petrol station and stopped there while he invited me to a juice and a chat whilst we waited for the other person´s plane to land. Felipe was full of thoughts and discussions about the new president of Nicaragua (old-time Sandinista Daniel Ortega) who had been sworn into office the day before, and what he´s going to do to the country. I have to admit I was a little worried sitting there at the garage with all my travelling worldly goods on me, but actually it was pretty cool talking to Felipe.

So this morning I popped in on the charity´s office to say hello, and to find out where and when I have to get started (9am on Monday for an orientation session) and I´m spending the rest of today hanging out with another newly arrived volunteer, Torey from Montana, getting to know the town of Granada and getting used to the heat. We´ve already met a few US ex-pats over breakfast, who´ve given us some tips on cool places to go. The other girls at the house are off for the weekend to the beach for some surfing, but I think I´d like to spend at least 24 hours here in Granada finding my way around before I head off...!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hello lizzie, just checking it's all going well. hope you're having fun. love picul x

Lizzie said...

Thanks for the message, Picul. I´m glad to hear that at least someone is reading my blog - sometimes it feels like I´m writing it out into a void as I have no idea who ever checks it!

Cie said...

we are reading it, honest! like the mexico photos, keep posting...